Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Little Bee

Little Bee is a book I picked up with only 5 minutes of entering the Harvard Coop. There is something truly magical about this story that I can't really explain, mostly because it is all in the storytelling. I'm only 18 pages in, but I have learned a good handful of lessons for my lifetime. I also do not know how a white male can enter the head of a Nigerian woman entering the western world after being released from the immigrations centre. I won't tell you the entirety of the story, but below I have a paragraph that was beautifully crafted. Enjoy =) PS: If you could not tell, I highly reccommend this if you were looking for a new read. Only 11$ at the Coop =P



On the girl's brown legs there were many small white scars. I was thinking, Do those scars cover the whole of you, like the stars and the moons on your dress? I thought that would be pretty too, and I ask you right here please to agree with me that a scar is never ugly. That is what the scar makers want us to think. But you and I, we must make an agreement to defy them. We must see all scars as beauty. Okay? This will be our secret. Because take it from me, a scar does not form on the dying. A scar means, I survived. (Cleave, p.9)

No comments:

Post a Comment