Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Math Talk

While in the Coffee Shop writing about nonsensical things (the last two blog posts to be precise) I overheard a study group. Its so much fun to eavesdrop on math conversations. They speak in a code that is understandable, but not comprehensible. I decided to make a list of everything I heard or could write down. This was 5 minutes of real Math Talk.

-2 and 3 on this side
-P
-Q?
-on D
-missing something
-Always 2nd Guess
-G and then I
-2 and 3 = ?
-on 1
-He was probably right but I didn't understand
-Q Dependent
-on 1?
-2 and 3 = 1
-Always standard function
-Have P and Q
-Still 1
-1 is 1

There's no way I can tell you what the math problem was that they were solving, but I can tell you I recognize everything. Its like being able to label the parts, you just don't know how they work together as one. I think my favorite is the last one, "1 is 1." It is what it is. I guess math can help us learn some philosophical matters of our life. Maybe we just have to listen to the right words.

2 comments:

  1. Math really could be useful to our lives. Even if we sometimes think that it is not practical and we are tempted to skip math class in school.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your last 2 posts were far from "nonsensical." They were quite nice and also perceptive. -- Mamom

    ReplyDelete